Monday, March 9, 2015

TIME

A reflection by Jerry Tepe

Tempus fugit. A stitch in time saves nine. Time is money. Time wasted is time lost. Time is of the essence. Time marches on.
How many clichés can we have around a single word? And how often is time important in our lives?
We often say we do not have enough time in a day to do what needs to be accomplished. Yet on other days, time seems to stand still as we keep checking the clock every few minutes.
Now I can fully appreciate that many of us are in circumstances where our time does seem limited. Those with young families have not only their own claims to the hours of a day, but need also to think about the time commitments of their family, particularly the children. Still others have the pressures of their business, particularly of their bosses who may be at times unrealistic in their expectations, but have to be followed regardless. We hear about the need to be available 24/7/365.
Given all this, it is often difficult to find the time in our lives for ourselves; to just stop and reflect on what is happening in our lives, in our families, in our community, in our faith? Granted I have reached the time in my life where many of these outside pressures are limited or nonexistent, but I learned years ago that I needed to build time into my life to care for myself if I was going to be able to care for others. I put these times, like visiting the YMCA for exercise, into my weekly calendar and treated them as I would any other commitment as inviolable.
Many of you have heard me before speak of the importance of putting some silence, silent time if you will, into our lives so we can hear God speaking to us. If we do not block the outside sources that demand our attention daily, we cannot hear God’s voice. To be sure, at times He hits us over the head just like he did with St. Paul; but mostly it is a quieter, thought provoking approach. But we also, at times, need to be silent in our relationships with others, so we can hear their voice, their concerns, their worries and burdens. If we can’t take the time to listen, how can we offer support? And lastly, but maybe most importantly, take the time, a minute here, a minute there, to pray and give thanks.

As we go through the Lenten season, perhaps we can all take on the obligation of allowing ourselves some time away from the distractions of our lives to put that time of silence into every day; to listen, really listen to others; and to pray. Make the effort and I truly think you will find it rewarding.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jerry. I make time for myself through centering prayer. I get e mail based on Fr Keating's work and have found a small group to sit with twice a month or so.
    Peace
    Tim

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated prior to being added to the page. Thank you.