Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Surrender - An Advent Reflection

by Tim Frazier

As part of an online Advent study course with Contemplative Outreach and Fr Thomas Keating, we were invited first to reflect upon two of Fra Angelico's paintings  ("The Annunciation" and later "The Visitation") and also upon the first chapter of Luke, the inspiration for the paintings..  The topic that emerged from the discussion was not so much our waiting for Christ (which we all recognized as the major part of Advent), but an identification with Mary's complete surrender to the will of God.   Is the Holy Sprit with me, within me, as my baptism provides?  As Jesus promises in John 14:26? 


Then why do I mess up so much, and do so much yet make myself and others unhappy?  I have not surrendered completely, as Mary did.  My ego, my commitment to Self, is still too strong.   This Advent, may I learn to surrender all that I think I am and all that I think is so important about me, so that the Holy Spirit within may truly guide me.  If there is too much noise in my own selfish head, I will not hear the still small voice of God. 

Fra Angelico - The Anunciation

Fra Angelico - The Visitation

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated prior to being added to the page. Thank you.