Friday, November 7, 2014

Feeding the Hungry: Food Pantry, Mission of the Month for November

We all know the importance of food.  We cannot survive without it.  Here at St. Paul’s our Food Pantry volunteers work at a variety of tasks with one simple goal – to feed people.  And so - to our stockers, shoppers, schedulers, workers who give out the food, those who clip coupons, those who donate food and funds, those who go to the food bank to collect larger shipments of food, and those who clean, fold bags and break down and recycle boxes – to all of them a huge thank you for showing us how to live out the message of Jesus to love and serve others as ourselves.  These people do this work for many different reasons.  Here we have words from two of our volunteers, sharing the reasons they serve in our Food Pantry:

"Being newly retired, I was looking for ways I could give back to the community in time and energy. Volunteering at a food pantry was on my to do list since working professionally with a person who has been involved with and has spoke highly of the St. Paul's Food Pantry for years. The experience has been so gratifying. Clients often share their stories and even though we see people for a short time during a visit it doesn't take long to feel connected to each one. I am in awe of the refugees who come to the U.S. and try to make sense of our language, food, educational system, living arrangements, government and family dynamics. I would like to think I would be that brave but..... I leave the pantry each time renewed with good feelings, especially towards all the people we help, and the huge number of people who work together to make the St. Paul's Food Pantry happen."
- Sandy Davis

"I started in the Food pantry when it was upstairs in the hall about 20 years ago..  I continue to serve because I feel it is something I can do that will help our clients directly--not just through giving money through a third party.  And I like the clients."
- Georgette Daugherty


Do you feel called to help?  Contact the church office for details.
Help to fill the shelves - and feed those who are hungry.
On a Friday morning, the shelves are quite bare....

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated prior to being added to the page. Thank you.