Monday, October 27, 2014

Why we sing - reflections from the St. Paul's Choir




When choir members were asked why they sing in the choir, their responses reflect their diverse experiences and overwhelming joy at sharing their gifts and love of music.

Many people spoke of the joy and the peace that singing brings them – a sense of being closer to God. Others shared their love of the fellowship in the choir – a sense of belonging.  And many feel that their singing is the best way for them to be a part of the worship service – a sense of purpose.

We offer here their testimonies, and thank them for the blessing of their service to St. Paul’s.

“We sang around a piano after dinner my last three years in college, and I've loved it since then. For days after my mother died I listened to the phrase from Handel, "My yoke is easy, my burden is light."  Now every anthem I sing reminds me of that healing experience. A choir is little foretaste of being in heaven.” - Chris Dornin

I can give you a quick reason why I sing in the choir.  It feeds my soul.  Plain and simple, but it also allows me an opportunity to be surrounded by a wonderful group people who share a faith and love of God and music. - Sarah Dickinson

People worship in many ways, mine is singing in the choir.  It brings me a sense of enjoyment, peace and pride to know that we are an integral part of the worship service at St. Paul’s
 – Jean Barnes

For me the choir is a chance to work with my family of Christian brothers and sisters to create something beautiful to honor God each Sunday. Whenever I play or sing I try to think of it as giving a Concert for God! - Catharine Dornin

I sing in the choir because I feel God when I sing. …any challenges in my life seem to melt away-I'm at peace. … I also feel a sense of community with the choir. Whenever I have been in the congregation, I don't feel the belonging that I do sitting up in the choir loft. Besides, we get a really good view of everyone and what they are doing! - Catherine Denoncourt

I joined the choir because my sister and I use to sing together in a choir when we were kids. She died 8 yrs ago. It makes me feel close to her when I sing in the choir. The people in the choir at St. Paul's are friendly and welcoming. And Mark, of course, is great, especially when he praises us after singing well. I love that. Singing brings joy to my heart. - Stacey Baston
I listen carefully to the words of the prayers and the readings; I try to hear what the Spirit is saying.  When I hear the music, I listen with my heart to feel what the Spirit is saying.  My church has recently given me the gift of being welcomed into our choir.  Even though I am a pew songster never learning to read notes or schooled in music, I have been given more than enough help and encouragement to raise my tenor voice in praise on Sunday morning.  Mark has kindly made a cd of the tenor parts for ALL of the music we will sing!  And, I stand next to wonderful men and women who lead me in the melody. 
Most of all, being new in the choir, I watch those who have been here for years, the bonds and love that has grown between them.  I know that together we raise a precious sound that God hears, a sound grounded in exquisite harmony and beautiful tone.  Given the love that flows between us, the music that gently moves the hearts of those who hear us, and the prayers that we sing to God to bless us, how can I keep from singing?  - Carol Flavin-Veenstra

I joined the choir after my children went to college and I had to sit alone in church and felt very lonely. I joined the choir after having not sung for over 25 years. Now I have a family of people who welcome me, right notes or wrong notes, and support me in more ways than I could have ever imagined. CHOIR IS FAMILY!  - Edie Perkins

One does not have to have perfect tone or pitch to be in the choir. If that was the case, I wouldn't be there.  As we sing those notes, and the music swells I just have this overwhelming sensation of excitement & peace.  I am not singing to the congregation or to Mark; it's God I see, and I know He is smiling down on us.  Even when the notes come out wrong, it's the peace I feel… it's the music I love.   -  Debbie Spencer

..As a new choir member, I'd like to say how much I appreciate the welcome and helpfulness of the choir and the wonderful MARK!  What joy it is to sing with you all and learn so much from the experience. -  Peg Aldrich.  

I heartily agree with St. Augustine who said, "He [she] who sings prays twice." When I sing with the choir, I use words and breath in a deeper way. Most importantly, I harmonize with those around me; I do my part to mesh with the voices of others -- I'm a unique part of the Body -- and Breath -- of Christ.  Also, singing with the choir reduces my pain from arthritis! No joke!
- Gail Schilling

For me music both makes and enhances the service.  I started choir around the age of 11 or 12, and have always enjoyed being one of the people who happily sang my way through the service. … I am particularly happy to sing in St. Paul's choir. The acoustics help me feel like I really can sing!  Something we're very fortunate to have.  To sing under Mark's skilled and lively directorship is exciting and enlivening.  I am privileged to be singing in such a beautiful choir. - Nicki Bourne

I love to sing in the choir because when I sing my emotions overcome my senses and I feel closer to God. It's like I am singing to Him. It is indeed a privilege to sing with a wonderful group of people who enjoy singing together. We are so lucky to have Mark as our director and friend.
-Ranee Washburn

Comments collected by Jean Gillespie


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated prior to being added to the page. Thank you.